Tuesday, September 10, 2013

September 11th Read Aloud

I recently added the book The Man Who Walked Between the Towers by Mordicai Gerstein to my classroom collection.
It tells the true story of the Frenchman, Philippe Petit's, tightrope walk between the World Trade Center towers in 1974.  The theme of perseverance is a great point of discussion after reading this book. As I was preparing my lesson, I located this wonderful craftivity over at The Best Childrens' Book.org.
Students work on goal setting, as Philippe Petit did with his tightrope feat.

Here's my rendition of the craftivity:



Other just as useful resources for The Man Who Walked Between the Towers can be found over at Scholastic. Resources include lessons on analyzing the character traits of Philippe Petit.

Will you be doing lessons to honor September 11th? I'd love you to share your ideas.

~Denise

Yearn to Learn Blog
TPT Store
Pinterest



5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book. Going to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

    Tammi
    The Balanced Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought the book and am happy to have an activity to go along with it! Thanks for passing it along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to a training today and the instructor read this aloud to us! I was excited to hear it because I'd read your post last week. The skill we practiced with it was to generate questions using sentence starters from Bloom's Taxonomy. For example, a higher level question (evaluation) was, "Do you think the judge's sentence was a good one? Defend your answer." Interesting idea to make the STUDENTS generate the questions using sentence starters, not just the teachers. :) I also heard there's a great documentary on Petit on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Amber. I like the idea of involving students to generate reading response questions.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your input!

-All Things Upper Elementary

Blogging tips