Friday, July 5, 2013

Wearing Different Hats


Many of us wear many different hats throughout the school day. Some even change their hats as soon as the school day ends, and we put on a different hat for after school activities with students such as sports, clubs, and tutoring. For some, our hats may change as school years end and begin again. For me, this is the case. 

As the school year approached, I found myself in a position to change my hat and wear a new one. The opportunity came for me to apply for a leadership role in the school where I teach. I thought long and hard about this opportunity. I discussed it with my family and close friends. I prayed about it. While I have always thought about leadership roles, I never dreamed it would come as soon as it has. 

I have always LOVED being a classroom teacher! Always, even on days when I sometimes feel that I am not getting through to my students. I love their enthusiasm. I love their quirks and numerous personalities. I knew that if I ever pursued a leadership position, I would lose that close bond that teachers form with their students. Yes, I know principals, assistant principals, instructional coaches, etc., can still form bonds with students, but the bonds are different. In my 11 years teaching, I have thoroughly enjoyed each student that I have taught. Some were harder than others, but all have a special place in my heart. 

With my mind made up, I decided to give it a shot. I knew that if it was meant to be, then the door would open up for me. If not, I knew that teaching in a classroom setting was where I needed to be. When I left the interview, I felt I had given it my best and answered the questions honestly and to the best of my ability. When I received the phone call informing me that I would be the new Instructional Coordinator at our school, I was elated. While I know I will genuinely miss working one and one with the students on a daily basis, I am excited that I will have more opportunities to go into classrooms and see all of the levels of learning taking place. 

I wish I had pictures to share with you of my old classroom and my new office- that I was able to go into as mine for the first time yesterday. I have a lot to learn in a very short amount of time. I will begin my new position this upcoming week as I conduct a two-day meeting with third grade teachers from our county as we revise county teaching maps, unit plans of study, and nine week assessments. 

Are there any of you who will be wearing a new hat this school year? If you have any advice for my new position, please share it with me as well. What is something your Instructional Coordinator does  that you think is awesome? 

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I know it is not as informational as other posts about innovative ideas to use in your classroom, but I wanted you to know about my news, and hopefully, you can offer ideas that would be great for me to use in my new role. 



15 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Andrea! I had a similar postion this past school year and am choosing to go back to the classroom for the upcoming year. I know one thing my teachers appreciated was that I would teach their class for a period and allow them to see other teachers in action. We seldom get to see how other teachers do it and all teachers that took advantage of this opportunity really appreciated it! Good luck to you in your new hat next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! I know the teachers at our school would love that, too. Thank you for sharing. I wish you much luck in the classroom this year.

      Andrea

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new position! I wish you much happiness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new job! That is so exciting:) I just began as our school's technology coordinator, after 5 years a middle school math teacher. I have a lot to learn, but the best part is when I see one of my former students and they give me a hug or tell me they miss me;) it warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I know I am going to miss my kiddos!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Mrs. Howard, it was the same with my team. I changed hats just last year. Mrs. Howard said she was going back to the classroom, that is something I struggled a lot with. Its hard to give up after 23 years.

    I struggled off and on most of the year with different views, acceptance of my position for a couple of teachers and over enthusiasm. Seeing I had only two weeks to prepare between countless SMT meetings and my own preparations, it was stressful to say the least.

    A few times I was sure I would resign my position and head back to a classroom the following year. Here it is July and I'm working on everything from A-Z to be better prepared this year. Knowing I can return to the classroom is comforting and gives me the motivation to keep going and pray this year will be as I hoped it would be the first time around.

    Live and learn
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I am trying to prepare myself as best I can. I know it is going to be a new learning journey. I hope your year this year is all you hope it to be. Thanks for telling your story!

      Andrea

      Delete
  5. Andrea,
    First of all congratulations on this new adventure! I have been appointed the administrative coordinator for the directors of our school after teaching 13 years in the classroom. I would love to know more of what your position entails so you can post about it for others (and me) to learn from. Plus it is a good sounding board for this next learning curve we are on.

    Thank you,

    Wendy Randazzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. I am probably going to do a longer post on my blog (Right Down the Middle) in the next week or so that details my duties and responsibilities. I hope you will check it out.

      Congratulations on your appointment!

      Andrea

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! What an exciting opportunity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am excited (and nervous)! :)

      Andrea

      Delete
  7. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for excellent information I was looking for this information.

    wholesale snapback hats & wholesale brand name clothing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your input!

-All Things Upper Elementary

Blogging tips