Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Race to 100! {Teaching Crisis Averted}

I can't change a flat tire or drive a stick shift. I can't cook without googling every verb in the recipe. Side note - WHY are there so many ways to prepare food that start with b?! Bake, broil, baste, boil, beat, braise, brown....it's a good thing my fiancé is an awesome cook, otherwise we'd be on the Ramen noodle diet.

HOWEVER...over time, I have developed a very specific set of skills that all teachers share. I can silence a noisy room in 472 different ways. I can elicit a confession with a simultaneous head-tilt and eyebrow raise. And, perhaps most importantly, I can pull off a pretty awesome Plan B at a moment's notice. Teachers are the ultimate masters of the alternate plan.

We had our math MCAS this week. I've got to hand it to my little friends - they worked their little tails off! I figured after two grueling days of testing, they deserved a game day in math. I decided to do different stations around the room with playing card math games. Easy-peasy.

I had to call a parent during my prep period, but I just needed to leave myself a minute at the end to grab my bin full of playing cards and game directions. I popped the top off my playing card bin and - GASP!!!! No playing cards. I wish *I* could have seen my face - I probably looked like I was auditioning for the role of Kevin McCallister in Home Alone.


I needed a game - and fast. With 5 minutes left of my prep, I didn't have time to make anything or run off copies. Top Chef style, I grabbed the best ingredients I could find - hundreds charts, dice, and ones blocks - and another game was born.

RACE TO 100!

Materials Needed:
Hundreds charts
Dice
Ones blocks or any other player pieces
2 or more players

Object:
To be the first player to reach 100

Math Skills Reinforced:
Multiplication facts 0-9
2-digit by 1-digit multiplication


It was a fun way to work on our multiplication and a big hit with my third graders. Another teacher crisis averted. 







Happy Teaching!



9 comments:

  1. I love your sense of humor, Blair!

    I had visions of Liam Neeson in Taken with your "specific set of skills." Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm featuring this post on Bagels and Blogs on Sunday. :)

    Donna
    Math Coach’s Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Donna! I'm excited - I love reading Bagels and Blogs! :)

      Delete
    2. Yea! I'm out of town this weekend, so I'm planning ahead. Ha ha.

      Delete
  3. Love it! I will share on FB, repin and play with my 3rd graders tomorrow since we are currently working on 2-digit by 1-digit multiplication1!!
    Heather

    Kickin' It With Class

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful game!!! It just occurred to me that students could start at 100 and play the game backwards using division with remainders (our topic this week.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooooo, if they multiply 5x6=30 do they then move to 30? Or, do they just roll again, multiply and write this on their paper? Sorry, I am just not unerstanding.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your input!

-All Things Upper Elementary

Blogging tips