Friday, May 17, 2013

Organization: Task Cards and Other Game Pieces

Happy Friday! Is anyone else nearing the end of their school year? We only have 1 week left!

Today, I wanted to share with you a couple of organizational supplies that I tried out this year and am loving!


First up, I use task cards a lot...I mean all the time! In fact, I printed out a ton of task cards for test prep this year. And as luck would have it, the laminator decided this was a good time to take a vacation. So here I sat with a stack of task cards printed on card stock with no place to go. I remembered seeing a pin from Minds in Bloom about using photo albums to store cards. On a mission to find the cheapest photo albums, I found myself at a local dollar store. I picked up all the clear plastic photo albums they had. They were only $1! I took out the front cover and then loaded them with task cards. Perfect solution for my lamination dilemna!


I had the kids working in pairs so they shared a photo album with one another. It worked perfectly. No more missing task cards, no more crumpled or bent task cards! And the kids thought it was fun! Go figure!


Task cards shown are from Teaching with a Mountain View and Rachel Lynette.


On a trip to Office Depot that same weekend I came across these plastic envelopes (again just $1!). I immediately grabbed them and knew they were perfect for my Spoons games. These are also perfect for any game or center activity that requires small pieces. No more plastic bags for me!




I would love to hear how you organize task cards or other pesky game pieces.


Jennifer

8 comments:

  1. oh my goodness task cards in the little photo albums is a brilliant idea! Those albums are $2 in our cheapest stores here but that's still a great deal considering the protections the cards will be getting!

    Thanks for sharing!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen them at Walmart for $1 also. This was a few years ago but it is worth a look.

      Jennifer
      Teaching to Inspire in 5th

      Delete
  2. I had the exact same experience with task cards... darn laminators anyway. How dare they?!?! I'm so glad I was forced into the photo albums. I bought all the dollar store had on my first trip. Loved them so much went back for all they had once again, and recently made my third trip. I think I'm up to about 40 albums. LOL! They are easy to store when not in use and I can easily display them for use along my whiteboard tray. Love it! I saw on one blog where a teacher punched a whole on the top corner of the album, placed an O-ring through it, and hung the album/task cards on a board. Clever!

    Have a great week,
    Angela
    The Teacher's Desk 6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn those laminators! And their timing is terrible! I have seen that blog picture as well. I love that idea, but don't have the space. And knowing my luck, we would be picking up task cards all day!

      Jennifer
      Teaching to Inspire in 5th

      Delete
  3. and this is why I love blogging so very much!!!

    That is a BRILLIANT IDEA!!!! Our laminator only works part of the time and the cards still get messed up. I am off to locate some of the albums!!!

    I have some similar things for the small pieces. I bought some boxes at the beginning of school when thy were on sale at Wal-Mart. Some were index card holders and others were pencil boxes. They were only $1 back then.

    Elizabeth

    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great idea! But, I can't take credit for it. Thank goodness for other blogs giving me the idea!

      I love index card holders, too. It is probably the teacher in me talking, but I love everything to do with organization! Well the supplies, not so much the act of organizing. :D

      Jennifer
      Teaching to Inspire in 5th

      Delete
  4. Love the idea of using albums for task cards! Brilliant!
    Les
    The Puzzle Den

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great idea! Thanks to Minds in Bloom for sharing the original idea!

      Have a great weekend!
      Jennifer
      Teaching to Inspire in 5th

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your input!

-All Things Upper Elementary

Blogging tips