Friday, March 1, 2013

Implementing Task Cards into Your Classroom

When the school year began in August, I was constantly looking for ways for my students to gain mastery of the Common Core Standards and be able to apply their learned knowledge to other content areas throughout the year. The catch...it had to be engaging and hands-on or my students simply would lose interest quickly.

I began experimenting with task cards. I know they have been around for quite some time now, but I just had not jumped on the "Task Card Bandwagon" yet. When I introduced them to my students, they absolutely loved them. I mean loved them!

Because I teach language arts and social studies, I have spent a lot of time creating task cards for the various topics and standards we cover in my classes. Every time we begin a new unit, my students immediately ask me when they get to do task cards. The students enjoy the task cards because they play an active role in their learning and demonstrating what they know. It is so wonderful to watch!


If you have not tried using task cards in your classroom, my advice would be to definitely give it a try. I started small and worked up to what we are doing in class now, but it one of the best methods I have found that allows the students opportunities to be engaged, learning, and having fun.

Below are two pictures of my most recent set of task cards. They are task cards for idioms, and they are perfect to use during the month of March because the theme ties in with St. Patrick's Day. Click HERE to download your FREE set of these task cards.



I hope that everyone has a fantastic weekend!


13 comments:

  1. I love your idiom task cards! I laminated them and can't wait to use them this March. We are on figurative language, so they will tie in perfectly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope your students love them! I love teaching figurative language!

      Delete
  2. I have some math task cards but have never been able to come up with a way to implement them that worked and wasn't too much work - I think I will have to try again. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the task cards after I have taught a lesson. We practice examples on the SMARTBoard. I assign some more practice the following day, and then I use the task cards. I think the students love them because it gives them that extra practice without coming across as another sheet they have to complete. I hope it works for you!

      Delete
  3. I need your Bill of Rights Match of set!! I'm always looking for things for my 5th graders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been on the task card bandwagon for years and love to use them in all kinds of ways in my classroom. They are so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have grown quite fond of task cards this year. I am not sure why I was so nervous to use them.

      Delete
  5. Love the idiom task cards:) thank you!
    Stacy
    Leading and Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope they are useful for your students!

      Delete
  6. Great freebie! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE using task cards in math with my 5th graders. My favorite way to use them is to have the whole class working with them at once. Students move around the room independently working the cards. They come to me periodically to check the ones they have completed (or use the answer key themselves) or to get help. I have found that students are WAY more willing to ask for help when we are using task cards and many students are motivated to see if they can complete them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just saw this post and love the Bill of Rights matching set! Do you have it posted somewhere that I can download it??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your input!

-All Things Upper Elementary

Blogging tips