Friday, February 15, 2013

Teaching Students to Justify in Math

Hello friends! The weekend is almost upon us!

Today, I wanted to share with you an answer chart that I saw in a middle school classroom that I was in a few weeks ago for professional development. This chart was fantastic for scaffolding the students through justifying their work in math. Take a look!


I loved this chart because it broke down justification into looks like/sounds like. This shows the students in an explicit manner how justification should look on their paper and should sound when they discuss it with a partner or whole group. Students have to be explicitly taught how to justify their work in any subject. I found this to be an excellent approach to teaching them how to justify that will carry over into any subject. It includes social norms, a little procedural norms, and some excellent scaffolds for making sense of their work...all three things that all students need!

How do you teach your students how to justify their work?


Have a great weekend!
Jennifer

8 comments:

  1. I think it is so important to have students justify their thinking. Often times I think we just assume they know how to do that. I like this explicit approach. Great idea!

    Amy
    Eclectic Educating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I learned early on in my career to never assume anything! And be pleasantly surprised when you realize they do know how to do a concept or strategy!

      Delete
  2. I like this chart! I'm going to have to make one to hang in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the looks like/sounds like aspect of it! Hits the independent work and the partner work!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, you know I love this! I'm working on inferencing with math problems daily right now and my students are slowly getting it. Such an important skill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear more about your lessons on inferencing with math problems! Sounds intriguing!

      Delete
  4. Using a stocks tip list like this is a smart move to make if you are inexperienced or don’t have the time to put towards analytics yourself like hardly any of us do.southwestern bedspreads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your point of choice for website yet need to recommend you for sharing some more data with respect to your subject so we can comprehend your idea all the more plainly.Camtec Electrical – electrical services in Perth!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your input!

-All Things Upper Elementary

Blogging tips