Saturday, January 12, 2013

Meet Blair Turner!

At the risk of sounding a little dramatic...I am giddy with excitement about this blog. What an amazing group of educators we've got assembled here! I am truly honored to be a part of it. 


A Little About Me

My name is Blair Turner. I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri (go Cards!), but have lived in Boston for the past 8 years. I teach third grade in Chelsea--a diverse urban community bordering Beantown. I did my student teaching here, was hired by the school right out of college and haven't looked back since! I teach in an inclusion room--which I love--and have a large population of English Language Learners in my room as well. After five years of teaching third grade, I've learned that kids will never stop surprising you.



My life has been pretty exciting these past few months. I've been engaged for about 5 minutes. Okay, more like 2 weeks, but it's so new that the word "fiancé" still makes me giggle every time I say it. Almost equally as life-altering, has been my recent discovery of Teachers Pay Teachers. *Shhhh, don't tell my fiancé I said that. {teehee}

The best part about Teachers Pay Teachers is that it has allowed me to connect with passionate and inspiring educators from around the world. I've learned so much, so quickly, and I am so grateful to have landed here at All Things Upper Elementary. 

A Little About My Resources

I always create with my own students in mind: thoughtful and eager learners with diverse needs. My resources are designed to help students access Common Core standards through interactive, engaging, and meaningful learning experiences. I have a variety of math and ELA materials for whole-class instruction, small groups and centers. 


Click here to get it for FREE!



In order to give you a better idea of what I'm all about, I'm offering you free access to one of my paid products from TpT. "Dueling Inequalities" is a great math center to help reinforce a variety of concepts. I hope you enjoy!







Check it out on TpT!



If you're interested in learning more about my ELA resources, make sure to check out my Making Inferences Activity Pack. Students LOVE these materials. It's available TODAY at 15% off to celebrate my first post on this amazing blog! :)






Connect With Me


Say hi in the comments below! Happy teaching!

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new engagement! Planning for a wedding is going to be loads of fun! I am excited to be collaborating with you!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Andrea! I am so excited to be in such great company here on the blog! :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your recent engagement! I can only imagine how much busier your life is going to get. I look forward to collaborating with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Busy makes things interesting, right?! :) I'm excited to work with you as well!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your engagement! That is SO exciting! I hope we get to hear about some wedding plans along the way. :)

    I am so happy to be collaborating with you on this fabulous blog. The amount of new resources for my classroom that I have found already is amazing! :) Thanks for sharing some more great items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! There is a lot of wedding "imagining" right now thanks to Pinterest--that place is truly a mecca for newly-engaged teachers! :) Haha.

      It's been a blast getting to know everyone through the posts so far and I can't wait to see where we go with this!

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean! If Pinterest had been around 23 years ago when I got married, I would have seriously needed an intervention! Have fun with it, though. It's so exciting to plan a wedding. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Friend!
    So nice to "meet" you. Congrats on all the fun changes in your life. I LOVE your Dueling game. WAHOO! Thanks so much for sharing. We are going to ROCK THIS BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I had a class a few years ago that seemed to learn math concepts best when the word "dueling" was involved...go figure! It led to the birth of Dueling Inequalities, Dueling Fractions, Dueling Products, etc. Whatever it takes, right?!? :)

      Delete
  5. Great to meet you! You are in for an interesting next few months, I would say!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg!! I'm trying to take some deep breaths as I jump in and remember to have fun along the way! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm loving this new blog!! Absolutely fabulous & perfect for me.
    Congrats on the engagement - what an exciting time. Ring pics??

    I only teach reading, but I need inference material so I'm headed to TpT right now.

    Deniece
    This Little Piggy Reads Alll the Way Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deniece! Maybe I'll sneak a few ring pics into my next post! :) My students have taken over the wedding planning for me--I have one designing my gowns and another taking care of the reception (current vision: piñatas and disco floors). LOVE kids!

      Thanks for checking out my inferring resources! I think it can be one of the trickiest skills to teach-I love to find ways to show kids that it's something they are already doing every day.

      Delete
  7. Congrats, Blair! I'm a newlywed myself, so I still remember that excitement. If you think it's fun saying, "my fiance," just wait until the first time you slip "my husband" into conversation. I still remember my first time: it was in Staples, and I told the clerk, "That's all right, my husband got the cable we needed." Haha, it's the little things. :) Anyway, I'm off to check out your freebie. Nice to be blogging with another MA resident!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that you remember the exact moment! I'm excited for all those little moments, myself. :)

      Delete
  8. Hey Blair! I love this freebie! I am going to have to get it printed and try it out with my 5th graders. I think they will love it! Thanks!

    Jennifer
    Teaching to Inspire in 5th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you'll be able to use it, Jennifer! I like it because it can keep going and going-there's no "I'm done". :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the Freebie. I have been looking for activities that address inequalities.

    Felicia
    I Mustache the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad the inequalities game will be helpful to you Felicia!!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your input!

-All Things Upper Elementary

Blogging tips