Thursday, January 10, 2013

Meet Denise from Yearn to Learn

Happy, happy Thursday!  I've managed to survive my first week back and tomorrow is a teacher inservice day. I can make it.  I'm so pleased to be part of this team of collaborating authors here at All Things Upper Grade. Here's a little bit about me. I'm Denise from Yearn to Learn blog. I started my blog a little over a year and a half ago and I can't ever imagine teaching now without the blog world in my "bag of tricks". This is my 20th year of teaching and I've spanned grades K- 3. I have also been part of the opening staff for 2 new schools within my district. It's lots of hard work, but well worth it. For the past 4 years I've taught 3rd grade and love it.

I'd love to share this favorite freebie of mine with you: Swap the Squiggle


If you've ever done Squiggle writing, I think you are in for a treat.
My spin on it is making it a collaborative effort. Students start creating a picture from their squiggle line, but when the signal is given, papers are swapped and another classmate continues on with the drawing.
At the end of all the swapping, the student gets their original paper back and has to create a story to go with it.  Here's a sample:

A story was written about stepping in gum


In celebration of this fabulous upper grade blog start up, I'm also throwing a 10% off sale at my TPT store today only, January 10th!
So while you are grabbing your freebie, take a look around.

If I'm not crazy, busy teaching, or thinking about teaching, I spend my spare time with this love bug, my dog Harley.

Keep in touch...You can find me here:


15 comments:

  1. I loved reading your intro! I bet it is a lot of work to open a school! Thank you for the freebie. I am sure my kiddos will get a kick out of it!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miranda and I do the squiggle writing but we LOVE the idea of swapping. We are going to do that soon! Thanks for sharing and we are looking forward to collaborating with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the swap part adds the element of intrigue. What the picture becomes depends on what every classmate adds to it. Fun!

      Delete
    2. Same here, Heather!! And I've always used it as an introductory activity to our Imagination literacy unit. I haven't really used it as the start of a writing activity--duh! :) Thanks for sharing, Denise!

      Delete
  3. Howdy!
    Thanks for sharing. It is so nice to meet you! :)
    I look forward to working with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here John. This is a great group.

      Delete
  4. It is great getting to know you. Thank you for sharing Swap the Squiggle with us

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try Swap the Squiggle! What fun!

    I have to say that I absolutely adore your dog. How old is Harley? I am crazy about dogs, and we have three of our own. They are my "three peanuts" and why I named my shop The Peanut Gallery. :)

    It is so nice to meet you! I look forward to working together on this blog with you. Tell Harley I said hello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs sure know how to steal their owners hearts I do think. Harley is 8 years old and spoiled as ever.

      Delete
  6. Great stuff! Thanks for the great info today--your dog is FANTASTIC! Love the name...for the dog AND your store!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Third grade was a great age! I miss it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! Thanks so much for sharing this idea! I saw it on Pinterest. I love it and am a new follower. For some reason, I thought that I was already. Anyway, I looking forward to reading more posts.
    Happy Teaching,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. It's a favorite of mine for sure.

      Delete
  9. Denise, I love the Squiggle Writing! I could see my kids loving that. That sounds like a good inside recess game, too!
    Thanks!
    Jennifer
    Teaching to Inspire in 5th

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your input!

-All Things Upper Elementary

Blogging tips