Sunday, January 6, 2013

Upper Grade Teachers UNITE! (Meet Mr. Hughes)

Okay, I will admit that I had to have my wife proof read my title to make sure we were coming together and not Un-Tying.

Oh, I guess I could start with introducing myself. I am Mr. Hughes. Before I go on and tell you all the wonderful details about myself, I wanted to show you WHY I do what I do:


Meet the Hughes Family Herd. I am the proud papa of 6 kids who keep me on my toes. Ranging from 1 to 12 years old, they keep me inspired in fun and new ideas to try with my kiddos at school. (Not to mention they are my guinea pigs for all my creations!)

School Experience! Okay... Here we go:
I am currently in my 12th year of teaching (which is craziness to me). My first year was at a school of over over 1200 elementary students. I was hired as the computer teacher. I taught a new group of students every 30 minutes and never had the same group of students in a week. It was an interesting year to say the least.

My second year I was transferred to the new school that was opening to help reduce the number of students in my first school. I was hired as a 5th grade teacher. Talk about starting brand-new. We opened a new school and didn't have ANYTHING but student desks and chairs in our rooms on the first day. I didn't have a teacher's desk, white boards, filing cupboards, NOTHING! Heck, even the bathrooms were missing the stalls. It was an interesting first couple of months. However, I will say that I LOVED teaching 5th graders. I also loved the curriculum and my amazing co-teachers. I spent three years at that school and loved every minute.

Then a major change happened. I was working two jobs at the time and was gone over 12 hours a day trying to make ends meet. I never saw my wife and kids. An opportunity to move back to my home town and teach opened up. It was the right move financially and we took it. It was a hard choice, but a great move for our little herd (we only had 3 at the time).

I have been teaching at my current school for going on 8 years now. It's hard to believe. I have been the dedicated 6th grade teacher until this year. Now, I teach 4th, 5th, and 6th graders writing/language arts. I have really enjoyed it and hope our school never switches back to the "traditional" model.

So, while I love teaching writing, reading and math are also great passions. So, I feel that I have a well-rounded background that I am thrilled to share with you.

So how did I get here?
I found Teachers Pay Teachers and the amazing network of colleagues it brought with it in April of 2012. Around that time I started seriously blogging about just school and ideas I wanted to share. I also began looking for ways to reach out to other teachers, such as Pinterest and Facebook. I haven't looked back since.

Something else unique about me is I am the creator/host for the Share the Wealth Linkys and Teacher-Author Spotlights. Yup, all those pins about Share the Wealth are from my little blog! :)  I hope you will take time each Saturday to take a peek at all the goodness that is being shared there!

I am so the creator of the Parts of Speech Mystery Pictures that took TpT by storm. I do have my January set #1 up! (Click HERE to take a peek)

Well, I have rambled on long enough. I am SO excited to be apart of the amazing upper grades think tank here at All Things Upper Elementary. I know that you won't be disappointed with what you find and I hope you will choose to follow our blog, Facebook, and Pinterest pages..

Speaking of which, you can find all things Created by MrHughes at the following places:

Yes, I know. I am everywhere. The better to share with you! Please take a minute and follow/like each of these so I can better keep in contact with you, dear friends.

Before I go, I wanted to share a Freebie with you. You know, just a small sample of things to come in the future. I made this for my class and wanted to share it. I now have around 60 of them hanging from my classroom ceiling. To read more about it, check out my blog post HERE. To get this FREEBIE, just click on the picture.




I am also offering 10% off my ENTIRE STORE TODAY (Sunday, January 6th) in celebration of meeting all of my new friends here.

Thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to see you again!

-MrHughes



36 comments:

  1. What a beautiful family photo. I think everyone should at least once in their teaching career open a new school. It is quite an unforgettable experience. Been there, done that.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Denise!
      Thanks for stopping by. Yes, starting a new school is something that EVERY teacher should do, at least once. I learned SO much from that experience. It is amazing how well you can teach with out all the "extra" items that we have. :)

      So glad to have you along for the ride here at All Things Upper Elementary and over at An Educator's Life.

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Hi! I have ' seen ' you all over the place so am now finally glad to 'meet' you. Great to see male teachers in the mix too. I am a grade 4 teacher in Australia and agree when you talk about starting a new school. I have travelled all over Australia teaching and it has given me a bigger perspective on my teaching style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca,
      I hope that you haven't been disappointed by "seeing me". Ha ha. I was a bit intimated at first to be the only male in this amazing group, but then I realized that I have been the only male for most of my teaching career. I love meeting new teachers and am THRILLED to meet those from other countries. What a great technology we have. WAHOO! I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Your enthusiasm and passion come through in your writing and I can totally see why you thrive in that subject!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jennifer-
      Thanks for the kind words. I am so excited to be a part of this blog and work with all you amazing people. :)
      Cheers!

      Delete
  4. I love the photo! You have a beautiful family. It was great to read your introduction.

    I look forward to collaborating with you on this fantastic new blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. They are a bunch of cuties, that's for sure. I too am so excited to collaborate with everyone, and especially all our amazing new friends that keeping growing in numbers. WAHOO!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful family. This blog is such a fabulous idea. Can't wait to "meet" the other bloggers and share ideas. I as just a few weeks ago thinking about needing to find some more "upper grade" blogs out there.
    Stacy
    Leading and Reading

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacy-
    Thanks so much. They are fun (and a handful at times, phew). I am so pleased that you have found us here and I look forward to learning and hearing more about you as well. Tell all your upper grade friends to check this one out! WAHOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everytime I read one of your posts, I smile. I am so glad to be collaborating with each of you and look forward to 2013 and all it has in store. You have such a beautiful family!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrea,
      Thanks for your kind words. I hope you laugh because I am funny and not at all my typos... ha ha. This is going to be an amazing ride. Thanks for being a part of it. :)

      Delete
  8. John you have a beautiful family and I can only imagine the fun that goes on at your home. Teachers that are at a start up school deserve an extra special blessing. They say what doesn't break you only makes you stronger. I look forward to collaborating with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that! It really brought our team/faculty together. It was an amazing experience. And... yes, home is always a crazy, fun, and usually LOUD experience. But, I wouldn't trade them for anything. This is going to be an awesome experience for all of us. WAHOO!

      Delete
  9. I am having so much fun meeting all of the collaborators--it's nice to see the "people" behind the logos! Love your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy!
      Thanks for READING my story... It got a bit long. Ha ha. This is going to be awesome! YEE HAW!

      Delete
  10. Great intro. John! Your family is beautiful!! I am so excited to be collaborating with you:)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jen,
      Thanks for the kind words. I agree that this is going to be an amazing experience. I am WAY excited to learn more about everyone and those awesome teachers who join us and share their thought as well. Sigh... I just LOVE technology.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the freebie! My kids will love it. I will be heading over to your blog now to follow it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Krissy!
      Thanks so much for stopping by and for following my blog. I know you and your kiddos will LOVE using my mobile. Enjoy!

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much for the freebie. My students really enjoyed making them, and they look great! It was a great connection too to setting goals for our learning and upcoming tests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE hearing how teachers use my resources. I am so pleased that you stopped by AND that the mobile worked perfectly for you. WAHOO! I look forward to sharing even more amazing ideas with you! Have a fantastic day.

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful family :) So excited to be working with you on this blog, you've helped me with my blogging skills already! Also, I love the New Year's freebie. Seasonal items are just not my forte, so I'll definitely it next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber-
      Thanks for the compliment. True, there are days that I would like to sell off a couple... ha ha. Just kidding. Let's just say my life is NEVER boring... and I LOVE it that way. I am excited to be working with you here. UPPER GRADE TEACHERS ROCK!

      Delete
  14. I love this freebie! So fun! I need to get it printed for my students. They will love it!

    Jennifer
    Teaching to Inspire in 5th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      Thanks for your kind words. I hope you and your kiddos enjoy making the mobiles. I know they were a hit with my students. Thanks again for being the creator of this amazing think tank! I am thrilled to be working with such amazing people. Here's to an awesome first year on the All Things Upper Elementary!

      Delete
  15. I didn't know about your Mystery Pictures. They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mrs. Shepherd,
    I am so pleased that you found and like the mystery pictures. There are many to choose from with many, many more sets planned for the future. I have some pretty exciting twists for future sets as well.
    I look forward to chatting with you here and anywhere else you choose to "follow"! :)
    Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the freebie! I'm also loving your mystery parts of speech pictures. It's so hard to get kids engaged with nouns and verbs LOL. Glad to "meet" you.

    Melissa
    Wild About Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Melissa!
      I am so glad you like the freebie AND my Mystery Pictures. I hope you have made it over to my store to check out the January set! I look forward to working with you in the future! WAHOO!

      Delete
  18. You have a beautiful family!! I wouldn't be able to use your mobiles at my school, the fire marshal would give us a fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words about my family. Sure you can use my mobile. :) Hang them on the walls, OR, as I told one teacher, print them at 75% and turn them into bookmarks! :) Lots of ideas. I am really looking forward to working with you and the other amazing people here.

      Delete
  19. Love the family picture! So beautiful! And I thought I was all over the place with 3 kids! :) Looking forward to collaborating with you here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Heather!
      They are a handful, but totally worth it! :)
      I really enjoyed reading your post and I look forward to working more with you in the future.

      Delete
    2. Haha, and I guess I can no longer complain that I'm drained from taking care of my two canine "children". :) Great post, John---I also love your freebie!

      Blair

      Delete
    3. Thanks Blair. I just replied to your feedback. ha ha.
      I truly hope it is useful for you and your kiddos!
      :0)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your input!

-All Things Upper Elementary

Blogging tips