Friday, January 18, 2013

Friday Free Writing

It's finally Friday! You and your students have worked hard all week! Way to go! Fridays at my school are usually crammed with vocabulary tests, spelling tests, chapter tests for some classes, and quizzes for others. I know why we give all of our assessments at the end of the week, but that is a lot of testing for our students. So, on Fridays, I like to do what I call "Friday Free Writing."

Friday Free Writing incorporates all of the concepts we have learned and have been learning. I post a picture on my SMARTBoard for all of the students to view. It can be a picture of anything, but the pictures I post are mainly ones I have taken over the years. I have used some of the funny quotes that I have found on Pinterest, but all in all, they are mine. They have 25 minutes to write something about the picture. Since this is called Friday Free Writing, the students have the opportunity to write narrative, informational, argumentatvie, or even poetry. When time is called, I ask for three to four volunteers to share. This is something fun and quick that my students thoroughly enjoy.

For today's picture, I am using:


I know, I know...it is still January. It is a little chilly here today, so I want to think of warmer places and spaces. I cannot wait to hear what they will write about today. You can check my Right Down the Middle Blog tomorrow to see what wonderful thoughts they come up with for this picture.

What instructional methods do you incoporate into your Friday routine to keep the students engaged?

Happy Friday Everyone!

12 comments:

  1. I love the idea of Friday Free Writing! What a relaxing and creative way to end the week. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I am going to choose some of their responses and post them on my blog tomorrow. They really do like this activity, even those who do not "love" writing.

      Andrea

      Delete
  2. When I taught 2nd and 5th we always wrote a letter at the end of the day on Friday. We would choose different people to write to each week (parent, previous teacher, principal, etc.). My kids LOVED Friday Wrap-Up and it allowed them to share a bit about their week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your Friday Wrap-Up, too. That is neat idea for them to reflect on what they did that week.

      Andrea

      Delete
  3. What a great idea, Andrea. I look forward to checking out your blog tomorrow to see your student's work. in my classroom, we have "Dear Mom and Dad Time". Students write reflection letters to their parents. They must include two things they learned and why it is important to know, something they did well, a goal for next week, and reflect on the goal from the previous week. Parents say they enjoy receiving the letters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your "Dear Mom and Dad Time" and think it is great that they set weekly goes and reflect back on them.

      Delete
  4. In past years, I've done a "What Have I Learned This Week" summary writing for students to highlight key ideas from their learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this great idea. As a writing teacher I am always on the look out for GREAT ideas to use with my students. WAHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of giving them a choice of genre to write in! I've got some great landscapes on my United Kingdom calendar; I'll have to try this after our opinion writing unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My students love choosing the genre. They tend to "try" a little more and enjoy it because they are writing in their best mode. I would love to hear how your students do if you use the landscape photos. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your input!

-All Things Upper Elementary

Blogging tips