Saturday, January 5, 2013

Meet Amy Alvis

Let me start by saying that I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful group of teachers that are a part of this blog. In just the short time that we have been conversing, I have come to the conclusion that they all need to teach at my school! How fun would that be?!? And now....my introduction.



Hello, my name is Amy Alvis. I am a 5th and 6th grade teacher in the largest school district in Indiana. I am currently in my 17th year of teaching (Wow, has it really been that long!). I've taught grades 5-8 during my career. I started out in a middle school and then our district moved the 6th grade to the elementary and I've been there ever since. We are a small school in a large district and we only have one 5th and one 6th grade class. We are semi-departmentalized. I teach math, science, and social studies and the other teacher does all the reading, writing, and grammar. I've been a science trainer for the district for the past two years and a math trainer for the last year.

I would love for you to visit me on my blog: Math, Science, Social Studies....Oh, my!

Math Science Social Studies Oh My!
I want to invite you to follow my Pinterest boards. For those of you that teach 5th and 6th grade math, I have boards dedicated to each of the common core standards. You can find my boards HERE.

I want to pass on a couple of FREEBIES to you.  I have been doing math journals for the past 5 years with my students. I recently added science and social studies notebooks as well.  I needed a way for my students to distinguish between each of their journals/notebooks so I created some labels.  You can use the links below to find them in my TpT store.

Social Studies Notebook - World History

As a former middle school math teacher, my first LOVE is mathematics. I want to share one of the math games I created for my math centers.  It is an Integer Review Game. The students practice adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, ordering and comparing integers. As well as evaluating expressions and interpreting integers. To see more about the game, click on the picture below.

I created this game because it is so hard to find center activities for 6th graders.  I hope to create many more in the future.  If you like the game, follow my TpT store to be notified when I have created more.


I look forward to sharing my classroom ideas with all of you!

Connect with me:


In honor of our new venture, I am offering 10% off my entire TpT store for today only.


29 comments:

  1. Great intro, Amy! I know what you mean when you say, "Wow, has it really been that long?" I look back on my own teaching career and wonder where the years have gone!

    I LOVE your photo! I love to travel!

    I am looking forward to collaborating with you on this wonderful new blog. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling is one of the biggest pleasures that hubby and I have! It's also great because I can then take those pictures to school and show my students. They loved looking at my pictures of Rome when we were studying Ancient Rome.

      This is definitely the start of a wonderful collaboration!

      Delete
    2. I do the same thing with my travel photos! That is awesome!

      Delete
  2. I loved reading your introduction! I am SO EXCITED to be collaborating you and the other 12 amazing teachers!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so great to have access to such great resources for upper elementary. Trying to find great ideas for 5th grade is always challenging and I have been doing this for 24 years! Thank you for providing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! There are several of us that teach 5th grade, so this is the place for you!

      Delete
  4. Awesome intro Amy! I love your enthusiasm and the game board is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I love your stuff too!

      Delete
  5. Great job Amy! I am blown away by the amazing variety of talented teachers we have to collaborate on this blog! As my students say, it's going to be epic:)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow one class for 5th and 6th grade is small. My school has over 800 students and at my grade level we have 6 teachers. Looking forward to working with you on this blog.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would like that. As it is, I really don't have teachers to bounce ideas off of unless I am doing a training session.

      Delete
  7. That's awesome that you have photos of yourself in Rome when you teach about it! I keep trying to think of ways to crowbar in my England vacation photos, but since I teach U.S. regions, it's not easy, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of what I teach my 6th graders is European History....that is my excuse to travel over there!

      Delete
  8. Great post, Amy! Great to get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I can't wait to learn more about you!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful intro, Amy. I work at a small school, too. We have one of each grade from PreK to 8th. It has its challenges and rewards. I look forward to collaborating with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is really small. Our numbers change year to year, but most of the time we have at least 2 classrooms of k-3.

      Delete
  10. Hey Amy, I enjoyed learning more about my blogging buddy! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so jealous of everyone's travels! I never travel past TN and Florida which neighbor Ga. Would love to see more pictures!


    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been very lucky to travel several places around the world. We've taken several cruises through the Caribbean and Mexico. We visited my brother when he was stationed in Okinawa, Japan and we have been to Italy twice. There are several more dream destinations that I would like to see. I told hubby that maybe TpT would be the way, LOL!!

      Delete
  12. I am so happy to see a blog dedicated to 3rd-6th grade. There are so many wonderful K-2 blogs out there. I'm a new follower and looking forward to future posts.


    Meagan
    Oodlesofteachingfun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so glad to have you here, Meagan!

      Delete
  13. Loved reading about your background! It's so much fun to get to know everyone a little better :) Can't wait to see how 2013 turns out for All Things Upper Elementary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Wonderful things in the future!

      Delete
  14. I love seeing games geared towards older students! They love them JUST as much!! :)

    Blair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My students love playing games. Anytime they get done early, they ask if they can get a game out.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your input!

-All Things Upper Elementary

Blogging tips