Thursday, January 17, 2013

Common Core Math

As I mentioned in my intro post, I am a math trainer for my district.  This summer, the head of the dept. asked me to come up with some common core resources for our summer training session.

Several states have already begun using the CCS, so there are quite a few resources already out there.

One of my favorite documents is the Common Core "FlipBook."  It was compiled by the Kansas Association of Teachers of Mathematics. They gathered information from a number of places including the Ohio and N. Carolina DOE (states which had already started using the CCS). The "FlipBook" provides a sample of instructional strategies and examples. The "FlipBooks" can be found for Grades K-8 and High School.

My other favorite find was a set of CCS posters to hang in my classroom.  They were created by Steve Gibson of Creative Classroom Resources. One of the reasons I LOVE Steve's standard posters is that he includes pictures that actually go with the standard.   For this reason, I think his work stands above some of the others out there.

I purchased a set to use in my classroom.  I have pushed my two filing cabinets together to make a magnetic board.  It is perfect for my standards.  I even made some science and social studies standards to match the CC math standards.


You can get these wonderful poster at Steve's TpT store:  Creative Classroom A to Z

I have included the resource files that I created this summer.  The first is a document that has many links to resources geared toward K-6. The second file is a list of activities/lessons for 6th grade CCS.  I hope you find them useful!




7 comments:

  1. I love these Common Core posters! I have been looking for a set to display on a bulletin board, and I think these are just what I need.

    I like how you created the magnetic bulletin board with your file cabinets. What did you use to attach the paper and border so they don't buckle? It looks great!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. t was a little tedious, but I cut up a flat sheet from Walmart and taped all the edges down. The boarder is a magnetic boarder from Learning Resources.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those posters are beautiful! I'm glad he has them for all grade levels. I put them on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Amy. I got a kick out of seeing a photo of my posters in your classroom.

    Like the previous commenter said, great idea using the metal file cabinets to make a magnet board. As a big fan of all things magnetic, I love it. Seems like no matter how many magnets I buy for my classroom, I always need just a few more. I've found the best place to get them is hardware stores - better than office supply stores. Home Depot has a lot of different sizes and not too expensive.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "FlipBook" provides a sample of instructional help me with math strategies and examples. The "FlipBooks" can be found for Grades K-8 and High School.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To articulate the precision this is a fine post concerning this topic. I got a wholesome solution from here. Also I can refer to you all quartet boards here to get educational helps. Even so will wait for more posts from the blogger. Thanks a lot…….

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your input!

-All Things Upper Elementary

Blogging tips